Monday, December 13, 2010

Sumptous Feast for the Eyes in Tlaquepaque


Our visit to Tlaquepaque, in southern Guadalajara still brings a smile to my face. The only unpleasant part of the day was driving thru the traffic and thick pollution of the industrial section en route. But once we got parked and began our wanderings, I forgot all about the trip to arrive.

We entered on the northern most end of the Tlaquepaque pedestrian walkway. Early we were greeted by exquisite metal sculptures, these a marching group of victors of the revolution. Dotted throughout the streets were other sculpture gracing the lovely historic, as well as some incredibly contemporary, buildings. Peering into each door or walkway was a delight for one's eyes. I was saddened to see some signs posted "No Photos" but, I snapped where appropriate. This one interior design and furniture store we entered had massive, exotic pieces. I mean, look at this granite and metal table. Do you have a place for this in your bedroom? Alot of the furnishings and furniture felt very masculine.

Of course, I was looking for paintings and found few, but the quality was impeccible. I don't believe I saw one watercolor (are you surprised?) but, there was one portrait artist whose work of native Indian people took my breath away. There too, was a sampling of abstract work.

But I have to admit, my favorite was the genius artist Bustamante. He shows all over the world with ceramics, metal sculpture, jewelry, and paintings too. His whimsy, his color use, his imagination, his sensitivity and his delicacy just touched me. As I wandered from room to room, to outdoor water garden, then the sculpture garden, I never stopped feeling wonder. And yes, he has an entire gallery dedicated to his work. I'm hoping the shots I got give you a hint of his talent.

Then, of course, were the artists that just plain made my heart smile. Another fellow who had an entire gallery offered up rotund subjects and my favorite was this stairway railing. Can you see all the different and fun bicyclists peddling up the stair rail? One of the last buildings that caught my eye as we were leaving that afternoon, was a large historic facade that housed local crafts people. Just at the entry was a gentleman with these adorable teeny, tiny villages, which he'd carved by hand. Now, most of you know I love and appreciate detail ~ so his bitty lil street scenes caught my eye. As I looked closer, I realized the material from which he'd etched his scenes was this intriguing tree that I'd previously photographed. It was a tree that looked like it's trunk was covered with barnacles. When I realized it was these barnacles that formed the lil village roofs I was holding ~ I had to have one!! Isn't it just amazing?

So, that was the visual feast we had while at Tlaquepaque. Next blog entry will talk about the lunch that nearly rocked Roland right out of his seat. But, that's the next story . . .

No comments: