Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A Missed Appointment = Artist's Playtime

My how time flies ... I have been busy AND painting too. Here's just a quick entry from my journal for July 23rd.
I'd had plans to meet one of the fun ladies who'd participated in my Women's Mexico Retreat (see: womensmexicoretreat2009@blogspot.com) just to catch up and talk artist talk. Those of you artists out there know what I mean :) ! We've been having such hot days (five consecutive with over 100 degrees and the two previous days were 99 degrees) that we wanted to meet early. So I arrived around 9:20 and got my Chai Tea, nestled into a comfy table with a charming view . . . and waited . . . and waited . . . and waited. About 9:45 I decided to pull out my trusty journal and start a sketch while I waited.

I'd picked a enchanting view of ole' feeling and cozy, stuffed furniture, skirted by the oval table. I got along in the sketch well . . . in the interim, I'd called my second appointment to see if we could meet early . . . and when she called back, I had to conclud my sketch. I'd just started some watercolor washes, so let them dry, finished up my tea. And trotted on my merry way.

I did finish up my sketch later at home (luckily I had my swell digital camera along with me and had shot a couple of images) and, yes, my artist friend and I DID finally get to meet a week later and had a delicious time rambling and cajoling for over two hours. "What do those women talk about", the guys ponder! :) They will never know!

Just a plug here for A-L-W-A-Y-S having your journal (or some creative potential) tucked along with you when you go anywhere. My dear journal made this missed appointment turn into a lovely memory and a chance to work on my still life sketching skills.

Happy trails are you delightful, life-enhancing creatives!

3 comments:

Elizabeth B Merriman said...

I love your pages, Elaine, and yes we always have lots to talk about. Was that at Good Bean? It looks pretty colorful for that place but I have not been there for awhile.

We had a fun outing today with our little group, they are really coming along with their work.

http://maoma3.blogspot.com

Peggi Habets Studio said...

Fantastic journal page. I always love seeing them.

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Always enjoy seeing your journal pages. You encourage me.