Friday, January 29, 2010

"Jacksonville is for the Birds"

Last year three of us "upstart" local artists created a group entitled "Art Presence", to bring about the awareness of Fine Artists and Professional Crafts persons and enliven business in Jacksonville. We are continually inventing events and the most recent is our upcoming "Jacksonville is for the Birds".

I've just finished my Birdhouse ... using polymer clay (what fun and the colors made me salivate). First, I started out deciding a theme, Victorian houses (perfect for our lil Historic Jacksonville which is full
of Victorians). Then, I researched motifs I liked or thought were applicable for my size and shape of house (a finch birdhouse). Next step was to draw an exact-to-size layout of the pieces and, along with my very generous polymer clay teacher (Sarah Waldron - do check out her lovely oil work at: http://sarahwaldron.com/) endeavor to shape, size and process all the parts. She hasn't heard the story yet of how, when attempting to warm my clay, I placed it under my very warm studio desk lamp and cooked the clay (it usually cooks in a toaster over at 265degrees). Overall, I was pretty pleased with it considering it to be my first clay project - I really got into the detail, as you can see. The last day working on it ~ I had to stop myself from making a ladybug for the roses - ha,ha!

The six birdhouses completed early, as a sampling, are now on display at the local J-ville Library for a month, then, May 15th, will go into various Jacksonville businesses for viewing and a final auction, April 17th, in the park with a professional auctioneer to jazz up the event. This event is in concert with the annual Woodlands Hike-a-thon, and dedication of a new trail. Pieces that sell will donate 10% to the Woodlands, 10% to the Art Presence and the rest goes to the artist.

So we're off to see what the next adventure "Art Presence" takes us on. For now, I'm lovin' the new medium of polymer clay and having day dreams of how to incorporate it into my journals. Creativity never ends . . . savor follow where it leads you.

No comments: