Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Latest Lil' Painting

I have been back to work. I smile as I say that, "work" sounds so heavy and daunting. My work is a joy and a privilege - so let's re-define that word, ok?!? I began this lil painting on site, "plein air" with my group, PAS-SO, Plein Air Society of Southern Oregon, (http://www.pas-so.com/). We went to the lovely Eden Valley Orchards & Winery (http://www.edenvalleyorchards.com/) where the beautiful Voorhies Mansion is located. This painting is from the vantage point offered by standing on the mansion front porch in the morning sun. It was gorgeous!! And, of course, I've exaggerated color and value! That's the speciality of being the artist :)


I'm painting for a local show in Ashland, "Art in the Garden, Art in the Home" coming up June 12- 14th. I visited the venue last year and was charmed by the two home sites, perched atop one of Ashland's mountain hillsides and offering magnificent vista views. The show moves between the two houses with artwork in both interior and garden portions. I'll be inside, looking out windows that peer out upon the entire valley.


Right now, I'm focusing on smaller pieces. I just yesterday finished this watercolor/wax crayon piece on watercolor paper stretched over 2" deep stretcher bars with 5 x 5 inch dimensions. I love these small pieces, especially the way the image wraps around the sides and top. Painting the pieces is rather delicious too! It's like holding a tiny world on your fingers (because I hold the piece up to rotate by inserting four fingers of my left hand into the small square box formed on the back by the thick stretcher bars) and maneuvering the piece as I paint on the different planes. Not to mention the bleeding of the pigment around to the back - you won't believe how much paint I get upon myself :)


Anyway, here's the lil gem. I'm toying with titles, so if you have a suggestion - just sent it to me. AND - by all means, give yourself the gift of getting out into this gorgeous Spring!!!

1 comment:

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

This is absolutely lovely. Beautiful bright cheerful colors.

Did you purchase the Watercolor paper wrapped stretched over stretcher bars or did you wrap them yourself? I don't think I've seen this on the market. Do you then spray the paper with an acrylic spray to protect the paper?