Monday, August 18, 2008

Sunflower Surrender

Well, yes, I've surrendered. I've madly been painting and stressing about finishing this "Sunflower Drama" piece I hang this Thursday (yes, only 3 days away) for the Artists' Workshop Show. Just last night I layed out the entire panel and calmly, realistically reasoned - - - I have enough pieces which work together and flow as "a presentation", that I DO NOT HAVE TO FINISH the sunflower piece. And I can still present her for the October "Rogue Valley Manor" Solo Show in a couple of months! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, breathe, breathe!

This decision allows me to address other priorities with pleasure rather than resentment! I'm plotting some advertising strategies for the "Women's Mexico Retreat" and also, preparing the agenda along with packing (you know how it is for most women to pack for a trip?!?) and researching galleries for my upcoming trip to Denver, Colorado - this coming August 27th! I'm attending my South High School's High School Reunion - oh my, it should be an adventure traveling back into one of my previous lives. But that's a whole other story. So exciting things are in process and I'm so glad I decided to "enjoy the process"!

I am pleased with the progress on my lovely Sunflower Girl. Yes, somehow she feels like a "she", strong, yet shy. And don't they say, our creations are holograms of ourselves? Interesting commentary . . . all philosophizing aside . . . it took me awhile to develop the dark values in the sunflower petals, bounced back and forth between using blues for the shadows (but that leaned towards green) and Quinacridone Gold, Carmine and some reddish-blues. The latter won out. So far, I have to admit, the juicy, watery area in the vase has been my favorite "playground". Painting wet into wet and watching the dance of different pigments and their crazy personalities - is one of the absolute joys in watercolor. So that is where I'll return . . . well, after I get details all together for the show and life's other callings.

Oh, yes, remember, we get to choose if we "enjoy the process" . . .

1 comment:

Peggi Habets Studio said...

Very beautiful piece so far (I thought it was finished) The color is luscious and the composition isvery interesting. Good luck with your show.